Germany: Northern Federated States

ITEMNUMBER

REGION OR CITY, CITY OR SECTOR

 

SHORTINFO

MECKLENBURG-VORPOMMERN

d12.12101

Neustrelitz

 

FO Humperdinck †

d12.12104

Neustrelitz

 

Q

d12.12111

Greifswald

 

QH

d12.12121

Stralsund

special

K - I

d12.12124

Stralsund

 

Q

d12.12131

Putbus

 

Q

d12.12134

Putbus

 

H

d12.12141

Saßnitz

 

Brahms

d12.12151

Gingst

 

K

d12.12161

Sanitz-Teutendorf

 

FO Flotow°

d12.12171

Petschow

 

K

d12.12181

Rostock

 

K

d12.12184

Rostock

 

A

d12.12186

Rostock

 

N

d12.12189

Rostock

 

Q

d12.12191

Bad Doberan

 

H - Mendelssohn

d12.12201

Basedow

 

K

d12.12211

Schwinkendorf

 

H

d12.12221

Güstrow

 

L - musical history

d12.12224

Güstrow

 

QH

d12.12231

Parchim

 

K

d12.12311

Schwerin

 

L - H

d12.12313

Schwerin

 

Mendelssohn - K

d12.12315

Schwerin

 

FO Flotow

d12.12317

Schwerin

 

A

d12.12319

Schwerin

 

QH

d12.12321

Schwerin

 

former R Perzina

d12.12331

Ludwigslust

 

L - H

d12.12334

Ludwigslust

 

F Rosetti

d12.12337

Ludwigslust

 

P (Rosetti)

SCHLESWIG-HOLSTEIN

d12.12500

Lübeck

 

musical history

d12.12501

Lübeck

 

K

d12.12502

Lübeck

 

FO Distler

d12.12505

Lübeck

 

K - E Buxtehude

d12.12506

Lübeck

 

O Tunder, Buxtehude

d12.12509

Lübeck

 

K

d12.12521

Lübeck

special

J - instruments

d12.12524

Lübeck

 

C Brahms

d12.12527

Lübeck

 

J A Brahms

d12.12531

Lübeck

 

N H

d12.12534

Lübeck

 

H

d12.12537

Lübeck

 

Q

d12.12541

Ratzeburg

 

K - I

d12.12551

Bad Oldesloe

 

O Buxtehude°

d12.12561

Norderstedt

 

J harmonica instr.

d12.12571

Eutin

special

L K - J Weber

d12.12574

Eutin

 

FO Weber°

d12.12577

Eutin

 

C Weber

d12.12581

Plön

 

L - Hindemith

d12.12591

Preetz

 

K

d12.12601

Kiel

 

H A

d12.12603

Kiel

 

O Loewe

d12.12605

Kiel

 

C Loewe

d12.12607

Kiel

 

E Loewe

d12.12609

Kiel

 

former E Loewe

d12.12611

Kiel

 

Q

d12.12614

Kiel

 

N A

d12.12621

Flensburg

 

Q H

d12.12624

Flensburg

 

K

d12.12631

Rendsburg

 

Q H

d12.12641

Schleswig

 

M - K I

d12.12644

Schleswig

 

K

d12.12647

Schleswig

 

QH

d12.12651

Schwabstedt

 

O Bruhns°

d12.12655

Husum

 

Bruhns †

d12.12661

Insel Pellworm

 

K

d12.12671

Garding

 

K

d12.12681

Wöhrden

 

K - Scheidemann

d12.12691

Heide

special

G Brahms family

HAMBURG

d12.12800

Hamburg

 

musical history

d12.12801

Hamburg

 

H

d12.12803

Hamburg

 

K - E V.Lübeck

d12.12806

Hamburg

 

E Telemann - OO

d12.12809

Hamburg

 

CPE Bach a.o.

d12.12811

Hamburg

 

C Mendelssohn°

d12.12814

Hamburg

special

J composers

d12.12817

Hamburg

 

J music history

d12.12821

Hamburg

 

∆ Brahms°

d12.12823

Hamburg

 

H - A Brahms

d12.12826

Hamburg

 

Q

d12.12829

Hamburg

special

H

d12.12831

Hamburg

 

N A

d12.12834

Hamburg

 

J instruments

d12.12837

Hamburg

 

A

d12.12839

Hamburg

 

FO Mahler

d12.12843

Hamburg

 

N

d12.12846

Hamburg

 

R Steinway

d12.12849

Hamburg

 

P Kirchner, Brahms family

d12.12851

HH-Bergedorf

 

FO Hasse° 

d12.12861

HH-Blankenese

 

F Brahms

d12.12864

HH-Blankenese

 

G Dehmel

d12.12871

HH-Neuenfelde

 

O Schnitger

d12.12874

HH-Neuenfelde

 

E Schnitger - K

d12.12101

FO Humperdinck †

Markt 3, Neustrelitz

Luisenhof

Engelbert Humperdinck died here in 1921 - today hotel

d12.12101

d12.12104

Q

F.L.-Jahn-Straße 14, Neustrelitz

Landestheater

built in 1954 in the style of its predecessor from 1775 

d12.12111

QH

Robert-Blum-Straße 18, Greifswald

Theater & Stadthalle

opened in 1915 - cooperation with Stralsund and Putbus - concerts in Kaisersaal

d12.12121

K - I

Marienstraße 16, Stralsund

Marienkirche

organ by Fr. Stellwagen, 1659, 3 manuals, 51 stops - front 20 m. high; trumpet playing angels - one of Germany's finest organs - concerts

d12.12121

d12.12124

Q

Olaf-Palme-Platz 6, Stralsund

Theater Vorpommern

theatre built in 1914 - cooperation with Greifswald and Putbus

d12.12131

Q

Markt 13, Putbus

Theater Putbus

nice building from 1821 - yearly Putbus-Festival (June) - the whole city was built in the 19th c. for 'prince' Wilhelm Malte; nice townscape

d12.12131

d12.12134

H

Schloßpark, Putbus

Marstall

concerts, Putbus-Festival (> 11.1)

d12.12141

Brahms

 

 

Brahms worked on his First Symphony in 1876 during a long summer stay in Saßnitz - his hotel Fahrnberg was demolished, later plaque on its location removed

d12.12151

K

Kirchplatz 1, Gingst

Sankt Jacobi

organ by Chr. Erdmann Kindt, 1790, 2 manuals, 21 stops (of which 17 original) - concerts during summer

d12.12161

FO Flotow°

Teutendorf 19, Sanitz-Teutendorf

Gutshaus Teutendorf

here Friedrich von Flotow was born in 1812. In later years he lived in the 'Moorvilla' (demolished)

d12.12171

K

Am Kirchplatz 1, Petschow, Ribnitz-Damgarten

Bartholomäuskirche

organ by Paul Schmidt, 1783, 1 manual, 15 stops - restored in 1993 - with 'Wippfederauslaßtremulant' - tuned in high 'Chorton'

d12.12181

K

bei der Marienkirche 1, Rostock

Marienkirche

Daniel Friderici, 1618-38  -  impressive organ front by Paul Schmidt, 1770; modern interior (Sauer 1938)

d12.12184

A

Universitätsplatz 5, Rostock

Bibliothek

library on the rich musical history of Rostock - famous MS Rostocker Liederbuch (15th c.)

d12.12186

N

Beim Sankt Katharinenstift 8, Rostock

Hochschule f. Musik und Theater

establised in 1994 (predecessor 1947-50 directed by Wagner-Régeny, afterwards conservatory)

d12.12189

Q

Doberaner Straße 134, Rostock

Volkstheater

theatre since last war - FP Johanna Balk by Rudolf Wagner-Régeny - previous theatres from 1786 and 1895

d12.12191

H - Mendelssohn

Am Kamp, Bad Doberan

Roter Pavillon, Salongebäude

spa since beginning 19th c. - appearances by great musicians (Righini, Schuppanzigh) - Mendelssohn 1814 (Ouvertüre für Harmoniemusik) - concerts

d12.12191a
d12.12191b

d12.12201

K

Kirchsteig, Basedow

Dorfkirche

organ by Herbst and Gercke, 1683, 3 manuals, 36 stops - magnificent front: all painted, gold foil on pipes, pedal towers with curtains

d12.12211

H

Seestraße 14, Schwinkendorf

Schloß Ulrichshusen

castle from 16th c. - large barn used as concert hall (1994, inaugurated by Y. Menuhin) - Mecklenburg-Vorpommern Festival

d12.12221

L - music history

Franz-Barr-Platz 1, Güstrow

Schloß Güstrow

1558-88. Opulent musical life in the 17th c. (Vierdanck, Brade a.o.) - concerts -  'Theaterzettelsammlung': 12.000 historical theatre posters as from 1669 in library, Franz-Barr-Platz 7

d12.12221

d12.12224

QH

Franz-Barr-Platz 8, Güstrow

Ernst-Barlach-Theater

theatre built in 1828, one of Germany's oldest - debut of Flotow in 1831 and of Leon Jessel in 1900 

d12.12231

K

Sankt-Marien-Straße 1, Parchim

Marienkirche

anonymous organ front, c. 1600, on partition wall

d12.12311

L - H

Lennéstraße 1, Schwerin

Schloß

ducal palace (16th and 19th c.) - concerts in former throne room

d12.12311

d12.12313

Mendelssohn - K

Am Dom 4, Schwerin

Domkirche

Mendelssohn conducted Paulusin 1840 - organ by Friedrich Ladegast, 1871, 4 manuals, 84 stops

d12.12315

FO Flotow

Kirchstraße 2, Schwerin

 

house of Friedrich von Flotow, 1855-63 intendant of the court opera  -  recently restored

d12.12315a
d12.12315b

d12.12317

A

Molkereistraße 3, Schwerin

Landesbibliothek

music department: Mecklenburg music history, MSs by Rosetti and Flotow

d12.12319

QH

Alter Garten 2, Schwerin

Staatstheater

open in 1886 after predecessors from 1788 and 1831 - FP Der Pfeifertag by Schillings, 1899

d12.12319

d12.12321

former R Perzina

Wismarsche Straße 144, Schwerin

Perzina Haus

former seat from 1905 of piano factory of Julius and Albert Perzina, est. 1871, with concert room - 1984-2013 municipal library. 

d12.12321

d12.12331

L - H

Schloßplatz, Ludwigslust

Schloß Ludwigslust

ducal residence 1758-1837;  two times weekly 'Concerts spirituels' were famous (tradition continued during summer in Stadtkirche)  -  also today concerts in Goldener Saal

d12.12331

d12.12334

F Rosetti

Am Bassin 7, Ludwigslust

Rosettihaus

house of the Czech composer Antonio Rosetti (= Franz Anton Rösler), working here 1789-†1792 as Hofkapellmeister - exhibition

d12.12334a
d12.12334b

d12.12337

P (Rosetti)

Friedhofsweg 6-7, Ludwigslust

Friedhof

grave of Rosetti removed - grave of singer Sarah Stanton, wife of Rosetti's successor Eligio Celestino (praised by Burney)

d12.12337

d12.12500

musical history

 

 

Until 1937 'Freie Hansestadt', ever since part of Schleswig-Holstein. In the first place (apart from Thomas Mann...) a town of organs and organists. During the bombing on Palm Sunday 1942, a great deal of the beautiful inner city was destroyed, incl. priceless organs: Schnitger 1699, Domkirche;  J.G. Burckert 1591, St. Petri;   Hering/Stellwagen 1518/1641 and the famous Totentanzorgel  from 1477, both in St.  Marien.   Fortunately the organs of St. Jacobi had timely been dismantled and safely stored; the Aegidienkirche wasn't struck

d12.12501

K

Jacobikirchhof, Lübeck

Jacobikirche

two remarkable organs, 1: by P. Lasuur (1504), Hans Köster (1572), J. Richborn (1673); rest. 1984, IV/62 - 2: front 1515, interior work by F. Stellwagen, 1637; rest. 1978, III/31 - a'=490 Hz

d12.12502

FO Distler

Jacobikirchhof 5, Lübeck

 

Hugo Distler was organist at St. Jacobi, 1931-37; plaque on 'Pastorenhaus', his own house on nr. 5 - composition of Totentanz (1934), inspired by the painting by Bernd Notke in St. Marien

d12.12502

d12.12505

K - E Buxtehude

Marienkirchhof, Lübeck

Marienkirche

 'Abendmusiken' led by Franz Tunder (1641-67) and Buxtehude (until †1707) - visits by Händel and Mattheson (1703) and Bach (1705, plaque) - Grave of Buxtehude - new organs by Kemper and Führer

d12.12505

d12.12506

O Tunder, Buxtehude

Marienkirchhof 4-5, Lübeck

 

neogothic rebuilding of the 'Werkhaus' of St. Marien, were Tunder and Buxtehude lived

d12.12506

d12.12509

K

Aegidienkirchhof 1-3, Lübeck

Sankt-Aegidien-Kirche

splendid organ front by Hans Scherer d.J., 1625, with interior work from 1648 (Stellwagen) and 1706, rebuilt in 1981: 3 manuals, 41 stops

d12.12521

J - instruments

Sankt-Annen-Straße 15, Lübeck

Sankt-Annen-Museum

collection of instruments - original organ keyboard by Schnitger (1699, Dom) - several objects from the Marienkirche, used during the opulent 'Abendmusiken'

d12.12524

C Brahms

Obertravebrücke, Lübeck

 

Brahms monument

d12.12524

d12.12527

J A Brahms

Jerusalemsberg 4, Lübeck

Brahms-Institut

Brahmsinstitut' of the music academy, with 'collection Hofmann' of Brahms autographs (op. 26), documents, letters etc., and material concerning Schumann, Joachim, Th. Kirchner 

d12.12531

N H

Große Petersgrube 21, Lübeck

Musikhochschule

main building of the music academy with concert hall

d12.12534

H

An der Untertrave Lübeck

Musik- und Kongreßhalle

built in 1994  -  concerts by the Lübeck philharmonic orchestra - > www.theaterluebeck.de

d12.12537

Q

Beckergrube 16, Lübeck

Theater Lübeck

built in 1908 in art nouveau stile, contrasting with the architecture of the town - > www.theaterluebeck.de

d12.12541

K - I

Domhof 33, Ratzeburg

Ratzeburger Dom

two organs by Rieger: 1972 (II/9) and 1978 (IV/60) - humorous stop names, such as Peter-Panflöte, Guillermos Quitessenz and a surprise: the stop Rauschwerk opens a mini-bar

d12.12551

O Buxtehude°

Kirchberg 8, Bad Oldesloe

Peter-Paul-Kirche

Dieterich Buxtehude probably was born here in 1637 - his father worked at that time in Oldesloe, then under Danish rule 

d12.12551a
d12.12551b

d12.12561

J harmonica instr.

Scharpenmoor 86, Norderstedt

Harmonika-Museum

collection of harmonicas, accordions a.o.  (actual stuation not known; discontinued?)

d12.12571

L K - J Weber

Schloßplatz, Eutin

Schloß

Franz Anton Weber, Carl Maria's father, was court Kapellmeister. In the chapel Carl Maria was baptised; the organ, of which the case has survived, was by Arp Schnitger, 1694 -  The Ostholsteinmuseum in the former Marstall  [court stable] houses a Weber exhibition  -  The Schloßgarten is a beautiful park on the Eutin lake. A tuff stone pavilion from 1794 is since 1877 a Weber memorial hall. Open air theatre for the festival 'Eutiner Sommerfestspiele'

d12.12571a
d12.12571b

d12.12574

FO Weber°

Lübecker Straße 48, Eutin

 

birthplace of Carl Maria (von) Weber, °1786 in this 'Spechtsche Haus an der Lübschen Straße' - today a bakery shop; one sells 'Weber-Hütchen', a counterpart of the 'Mozart-Kugeln'

d12.12574

d12.12577

C Weber

Charlottenstraße 0, Eutin

'C.M.-von-Weber-Hain'

Weber monument with bust and Freischütz reliefs (Peterich, 1890)

d12.12581

L - Hindemith

Schloßgebiet 91, Plön

Schloß Plön

FP of Plöner Musiktag, 20.VI.1932: Hindemith had composed a series of pieces for different ensembles and conducted the performances by pupils of the then gymnasium; unique event!

d12.12581a
d12.12581b

d12.12591

K

Klosterhof, Preetz

Evangelische Stiftskirche

organ: nucleus from 1573, Rückpositiv and pedal towers by Ahasverus Schütze, 1685; restored by Marcussen, 1999; 2 manuals, 25 stops

d12.12591

d12.12601

H A

Dänische Straße 44, Kiel

Kieler Schloß

concert hall and library (Landesbibliothek) with materials on musical culture in S-H

d12.12603

O Loewe

Schloßgarten 5, Kiel

 

here the house stood, in which Carl Loewe lived from 1866 until 1868

d12.12605

C Loewe

Carl-Loewe-Weg, Kiel

 

bronze bust of Carl Loewe (1898)

d12.12605

d12.12607

E Loewe

Alter Markt, Kiel

Nicolaikirche

Grave of Carl Loewe, since 1957 in the 'Pommernkapelle';  his heart, according to his wish, was transferred to the Jacobi church in Stettin (Szczecin, PL), his main working place.

d12.12609

former E Loewe

Eichhofstraße 56, Kiel

Parkfriedhof Eichhof

original tombstone of Carl Loewe; he was buried on the St. Jürgen cemetery and later transferred to Eichhof - in 1957 tranferred to the Nikolai church

d12.12611

Q

Rathausplatz 4, Kiel

Opernhaus

built in 1907, rebuilt after war damage - FP The Magic Fountain (1893) by Delius in 1997

d12.12614

N A

Wilhelm-Seelig-Platz 1, Kiel

Musikwissenschaftl. Institut

Christian-Albrecht-Universität, dep. of musicology - Fred Prieberg archive (esp. music in the Third Reich and Eastern Europe) - work at Brahms Gesamtausgabe (critical edition)

d12.12621

Q H

Rathausstraße 22, Flensburg

Landestheater

built in 1894 - belongs since 1974 to the 'Schleswig-Holsteinische Landestheater und Sinfonieorchester'

d12.12624

K

Nicolaikirchhof 8, Flensburg

Nicolaikirche

beautiful organ front by Nikolaus Maaß and Heinrich Ringering, 1604

d12.12631

Q H

Jungfernstieg 7, Rendsburg

Landestheater

built in 1901 - belongs since 1974 to the 'Schleswig-Holsteinische Landestheater und Sinfonieorchester'

d12.12641

M - K I

Schloßinsel 1, Schleswig

Schloß Gottorf

William Brade 1606-25 with interruptions, Franz Tunder 1633-41 - visits by Schütz - historic music room 'Hirschsaal' - organ: nucleus 1567, extended by Joh. Hecklauer 1625, 19 stops

d12.12644

K

Norderdomstraße 4, Schleswig

Dom Sankt Petri

organ front from 1701/1731, instrument by Marcussen, 1963, 3 manuals, 51 stops

d12.12647

QH

Lollfuß 53, Schleswig

Landestheater

built in 1892 - belongs since 1974 to the 'Schleswig-Holsteinische Landestheater und Sinfonieorchester'

d12.12647

d12.12651

O Bruhns°

Alte Dorfstraße 9, Schwabstedt

Sankt Jacobi

Nicolaus Bruhns was born here in 1665 (plaque) - organ front from beginning 17th c.; interior work from 20th c.  -  Bruhns worked in nearby Husum, 1689-†1697; no traces left there

d12.12651

d12.12655

Bruhns†

Wasserreihe 10, Husum

 

Bruhns worked and died in Husum in 1697, his grave is not known. There used to be a rather chaotic Bruhns museum and -society at the end of the 20th century which didn't survive.

d12.12655

d12.12661

K

Alte Kirche, Insel Pellworm

Sankt Salvator

organ by Arp Schnitger, 1711, 2 manuals, 24 stops - restaurated in 1987

d12.12661

d12.12671

K

Markt 4, Garding

SS. Bartholomäus & Christian

oldest organ front of Northern Europe, anon. 1512 - Rückpositiv added c. 1700

d12.12681

K - Scheidemann

Ringstraße, Wöhrden

Sankt Nicolai

organ, originally by Antonius Wilde, 1593 - alterations in 1788 (front) and reconstruction 1978; 3 manuals, 33 stops - played by Heinrich Scheidemann, born in Wöhrden c. 1596

d12.12691

G Brahms family

Lüttenheid 34 Heide

Brahmshaus

birthplace of Brahms' father - exhibition 'Brahms and Northern Germany' - concerts - seat of the Brahms Gesellschaft Schleswig-Holstein > www.brahms-sh.de

d12.12691a
d12.12691b

d12.12800

musical history

 

 

Freie Hansestadt Hamburg'. Since the 16th century the musical life was supervised by the municipal music director and Kantor of the four (later five) main churches; he was also responsible for the musical education at the Joanneum (cf. > d13.38) - most prominent Kantor in the 17th c. was Thomas Selle; organists include Matthias Weckmann, Heinrich Scheidemann and  J.Adam Reinken (Jacobikirche, Katharinenkirche).
Bach visited the town in 1702 (meeting with Reinken) and in 1720, in vain applying for the post of Jacobi organist. His son C.Ph.Emanuel was more successful in 1767 as the successor of city Kantor Telemann.
From the end of the 17th c. more emphasis on secular music. The first public opera theatre of Germany was opened in 1678 at the Gänsemarkt; 220 different operas were performed within 70 years. In the orchestra, conducted by Reinhard Keiser, Händel played (1702-05)  -  Some composers born in Hamburg: Carl Reinecke (*1824 in Altona) and Berthold Goldschmidt (*1903). The Russian composers Schnittke and Gubaidulina settled in Hamburg in the 1990s.

d12.12801

H

Mönckebergstraße Hamburg

Sankt Petri

Grave of Vincent Lübeck. - The church was rebuilt in neogothic style after having been destroyed by fire in 1842 -  today concerts of church music

d12.12803

K - E V.Lübeck

Steinstraße Hamburg

Sankt Jacobi

famous organ by Arp Schnitger, 1693, 4 manuals, 60 stops; saved from destruction - played by Böhm, Händel and Bach (who applied here in vain in 1720)

d12.12806

E Telemann - OO

Rathausmarkt, Hamburg

 

tombstone of Telemann, †1767, in paving in front of the townhall (former burial ground) - inside: relief portraits on pillars of CPE Bach, Mendelssohn and Brahms

d12.12806a
d12.12806b

d12.12809

CPE Bach a.o.

Englische Planke 1, Hamburg

Michaeliskirche

main church of Hamburg - graves of CPE Bach and Mattheson in crypt - plaques of Telemann and CPE Bach (former cantors) and Brahms (baptized here) - daily Fanfare Gottes from tower

d12.12809

d12.12811

C Mendelssohn°

Geschwister-Mendelssohn-Stieg, Hamburg

 

here Mendelssohn's birthhouse stood (drawing) - monuments of both Felix and Fanny

d12.12811a
d12.12811b

d12.12814

J composers

Peterstraße 28, Hamburg

Komponisten-Quartier

Brahms museum in baroque Beyling-Stift;  several saved façades from the town, assembled here after the war and each containing museums of resp. Telemann, Hasse, CPE Bach, Mendelssohn, Mahler

d12.12814a
d12.12814b
d12.12814c

d12.12817

J music history

Holstenwall 24, Hamburg

Museum für HH Geschichte

the town museum pays much attention to the local music history, especially the baroque era - collection of 400 instruments

d12.12821

∆ Brahms°

Caffamacher-/Speckstraße Hamburg

 

the birthplace of Brahms (°1833 at Specksgasse 24) was destroyed in 1944 - monument (1958) on the location, with image of the house and replica of the original plaque

d12.12821

d12.12823

H - A Brahms

Johannes-Brahms-Platz 46, Hamburg

Laeiszhalle / Musikhalle

built 1908 - main concert hall until completion of Elbphilharmonie - four (!) Brahms monuments: two outside, one inside (Max Klinger 1909) and a relief on the outer wall.

d12.12823a
d12.12823b
d12.12823c

d12.12826

Q

Große Theaterstraße 25, Hamburg

Hamburgische Staatsoper

building originally from 1827, thoroughly altered in 1873 (Bülow, Mahler; FP Korngold's Die tote Stadt) and in 1955 (intendant Rolf Liebermann) - 1675 seats. In 2022 in reconstruction (photos)

d12.12826a
d12.12826b
d12.12826c

d12.12829

H

Platz der Deutschen Einheit 4, Hamburg

Elbphilharmonie

New spectacular concert hall, opened in 2017 > www.elbphilharmonie.de

d12.12829a
d12.12829b

d12.12831

N A

Neue Rabenstraße 13, Hamburg

Musikwissenschaftliches Institut

musicological department of the university - famous precursor: Friedrich Chrysander, 19th c. - actual institute since 1949

d12.12834

J instruments

Steintorplatz 1, Hamburg

Kunst- und Gewerbemuseum

fine collection of instruments, put together in 1891 on instigation of Bülow, Brahms an Chrysander - in courtyard: façade of demolished hotel Kaiserhof, concerts during the 18th-19th c.

d12.12837

A

Von-Melle-Park 3, Hamburg

Staats- und Universitätsbibliothek

rich collection of music from the 18th and 19th c. - Beethoven's Heiligenstädter Testament - important centre of theatre research incorporated

d12.12839

FO Mahler

Bundesstraße 10, Hamburg

 

the only extant of the three successive Hamburg houses of Gustav Mahler; he lived here 1892-93

d12.12839

d12.12843

N

Harvestehudeweg 12, Hamburg

Hochschule für Musik u. Theater

state music academy since 1955

d12.12846

R Steinway

Rondenbarg 10-12, Hamburg

Steinway & Sons

the production of Steinway instruments moved from the Schanzenstraße to a north-western suburb

d12.12849

P Kirchner, Brahms family

Fuhlsbüttler Straße 756, Hamburg

Hauptfriedhof Ohlsdorf

Graves  of Theodor Kirchner, †1903, and of the parents and the brother Fritz of Johannes Brahms.

d12.12851

FO Hasse° - A

Alte Holstenstrase 79, HH-Bergedorf

 

House of the organists of the Petri & Pauli church and birthplace of Joh. Adolf Hasse, *1699 - The tower was added in the 19th century.

d12.12851

d12.12861

F Brahms

Brandtsweg 3, HH-Blankenese

 

Brahms lived here in 1863, composing his dramatic cantate Rinaldo (and never again more approaching the dreaded genre of opera…)

d12.12861

d12.12864

G Dehmel

Richard-Dehmel-Straße 1, HH-Blankenese

 

house with original interior of the poet Richard Dehmel (†1920), whose Verklärte Nacht inspired Schönberg and whose poems were set on music by several contemporary composers

d12.12871

O Schnitger

Vierzigstücken 95, HH-Neuenfelde

'Orgelbauhof'

house of Arp Schnitger from 1705 until his death in 1719 - façade rebuilt in the 19th c.

d12.12871

d12.12874

E Schnitger - K

Organistenweg 6, HH-Neuenfelde

Sankt Pankratius

grave of Arp Schnitger, †1719 - organ by Schnitger, 1688, 2 manuals, 34 stops (of which 19 original) - Kirchenstuhl (private loge of the Schnitger family)

d12.12874